Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why?

As it is "Back To School" time, either the kids or I repeatedly get asked, "Are you ready to go back to school?"  To which we proudly answer, "We homeschool, but yes, we're ready to start."

As you might already know, or can now guess, we've decided to homeschool our children. 

Some people say something like, "Oh."  Or, simply do not reply.  But the vast majority responds with, "Why?"

And so, though I don't feel I owe anyone earthly an explanation, I will attempt to explain why we choose to homeschool.

1.  It's our God-given right.

2.  We feel called by God to do so.

3.  We feel convicted that it is the best thing for our children.   After all, if God chose us to be their parents, shouldn't we also be their teachers?

4.  We want to raise godly, responsible, accountable, intelligent children who are willing to serve others selflessly.   In order to accomplish this goal, we feel we need to educate at home.

These reasons are by no means the only reasons, and I could launch into a lengthy explanation of the problems and issues we've had with public and private schools, but those things are just the gravy.  The meat of it is this:  God has convicted us to homeschool.   Period.   End of story. 


"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9

2 comments:

  1. Someone asked us if we were ready for school and Ayannah answered, "of course we are! we love learning with mommy!"

    I just smiled :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children are blessed to have you as their mommy. Your husband is blessed to have you as his wife. I am blessed to have you as my cousin...you amaze and inspire me...I love you...

    ReplyDelete

The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown

Leave your sweet sounds here: