Sunday, May 8, 2011

How I Done Did What I Done Did

(Photo from Google Images Search)

I love the South.  The weather is great. (Until the humidity sets in.)  The people are friendly.  (Unless you're shopping at a certain Stuffmart, then all bets are off.)  The English is goofy.  (Sweet peaches!)


So, y'all run along now and go get you your coupons and we'll have a visit.  See?  Goofy English.  Funny enough to make me fall out!


Okay, enough.  I did want to tell you how I was able to score so many great things, including a $50 gas card, for only $52.57.  (Wanna know exactly what those things are in the picture?  Yeah, I thought so.)




Here's the secret of how I done did what I done did:  I used coupons.


There.  Now you have it.
You're welcome.
Au revoir.  Auf Wiedersehen.  And adios.


(Yes, another Google Image)

Hee hee hee... I jest.  I jest.
The items above (not the horse, the groceries) were actually purchased at three stores:  CVS, Target, and Publix.


I'll talk you through each one.  If you have the patience and the desire to learn more.  If not, have a nice day.  Oh, and call your mother and tell her you love her.  It IS Mother's Day after all!


My CVS trip was quick and to the point.  After doing this for a few months, I've come to the decision that I will only buy things at CVS that they either give me for "free" or that they "pay me" to take out of their store.  Now, really, do they give me the items for free?  No.  Here's how it goes:  I buy something and they give me ECBs worth the same amount as the purchase price.  That, my friends, is free.  (ECBs are Extra Care Bucks that you use like cash on a subsequent transaction.)  When I say "pay me" to take something out of the store, it usually means one of two things:  I had a coupon whose value was more than the actual price on the item OR using a coupon and an ECB reward was more than the price of the item.  Either way, a money maker.


Where was I?  Oh, yes.  At CVS.
I only had a few things on my list, and the store was out of most of them.  But, I did take advantage of the razor ECB deal they had this week.  "Buy $15 of Schick Quatro Razors &/or refills and get $5 ECB."




Here's what I done did (sorry, I cain't stop myself!):


Schick Quatro Disposable Razors (3 ct.) $9.89 x 2 = $19.78
Minus two coupons ($2.00 each)                             -      4.00
Minus ECB's from earlier trips                                 -     12.99
Total                                                                         =    $2.79
Tax (thanks, Uncle Sam!)                                         +     1.49
Grand Total:                                                               $ 4.28
ECBs Earned This Trip:                                            $  5.00


And they paid me to take it out of the store!
That trip was a MONEYMAKER of $.72!


I realize that you probably don't have all the ECBs to recreate this exact deal, but over time, you will.  Shopping at CVS has almost become a game for me.  I try to see what I can buy for free and then how long I can roll forward my ECBs.  It's a sick game, I know.  But fun!


On to the next store, Target.




Kandoo Wipes       $1.49 x 2 = $2.98
Dora Colgate Toothpaste          $1.99
Suave Shampoo                        $  .84
Suave Conditioner                    $  .84
Scotch Scissors     $1.49 x 2 = $2.98
Total:                                        $9.63
Minus Coupons:                     - $7.25 
Grand Total:                             $2.33
Minus bonus for reusable bag  - $.05
Super Grand Total w/tax         $2.87!!


Coupons used:
$1/1 Kandoo (2) = $2.00
$1/1 Dora Colgate Target Mobile Coupon  
$.75/1 Colgate Manufacturer Coupon      
$.75/1 Suave Target Coupon (2) = $1.50
$1/1 Scotch Scissors Coupon (2) = $2.00


And, finally, I hit up Publix.




Most of the items I bought (excluding produce) were on their weekly Buy One, Get One Free sale or were marked down.  I then paired all the items with coupons and saved a bundle!  Because I don't have the patience to type it all up, and I'm sure you don't need another list of my savings by each line item, I will just tell you the highlights of that purchase.


First, I had a $5 off $30 coupon that I clipped out of the Wednesday newspaper.
Then, I bought a gas card that was $50 for $40, so it showed up on the receipt as a $10 coupon.
Additionally, I had some manufacturer coupons and some Publix store coupons (which you can "stack" together) that totaled $14.99.
So, once it was all totaled up, I had a grand total of $50.42, which included my $50 gas card!




I tell you all this not to be boastful or to bore you, but instead, to inspire you.  Using coupons does take some pre-planning and a bit of your time, but the savings are so worth it.  And, as a friend of mine said, "Knowing that you are providing for your family AND saving money is such a blessing!"  
Amen, sista!  Amen!


** You'll notice that I refer to my shopping list.  I NEVER go to the store without a list.  A list that I've created after using SouthernSavers to pair my coupons with sale prices.  I'd HIGHLY advise you do the same!  Jenny at Southern Savers does all the legwork for you.  God bless that woman!  There are a few websites that I use to help me match up coupons with current sales but these are my current faves:


         

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember telling you- Apple Market has $5 off $25 found on www.relylocal.com

    You have to register to print, but can print multiples. It expires 12/31/11! And Publix accepts them & they allow multiple transactions.

    Glad to see you are enjoying couponing!

    ReplyDelete

The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown

Leave your sweet sounds here: