Monday, December 28, 2009

Fiddlin' while I wait...

For a while now, I've been interested in photography.  I guess it first started when the Greyhaired Kiddos were born.  I wanted to capture the BEST photo I could.  I will admit that my children make taking good pictures easy.  Not because they sit still.  Or smile.  Or even look at the camera.  But, because they are both good lookin' kids.  (Not tootin' my own horn or nothin' here, but these kids have great genes!)

I've gone from a Canon digital camera that was about as big as a kids' shoe box to, now, a Canon PowerShot that is about 3" by 1".  Both worked well, and served their purpose.  For a time.

I now strongly desire to take GREAT photos.  Not only of the GHK, but of still life.  I see things in my world and think, "Oh!  That would make a great picture."

So, I've done my research.  I've talked to photogs.  I've decided on my new camera:  A Nikon D40.  Now, to save up...

While I'm saving up for the new camera, I have been reading more about photography.  Apparently it's not as easy as pointing and shooting -- at least not in the world of the big girls.  So, I'm taking my time to learn more about exposure, light, shutter speed, etc.  And I've also come to realize that finished pictures are almost always "fiddled" with.  Part of the beauty (and the fun, if you ask me) comes when you fiddle with the photo.

Okay, okay, I know that professionals call it editing.  However, I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be, a professional.  And it's my blog.  So, let's fiddle, friends!

There are many programs to help you fiddle with your photos:  Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.  I use Picasa, which is free photo software from Google.  It's very easy to use to store, arrange, edit, and upload photos to a blog.  However, it has minimal abilities as far as fiddling goes.  As I'm not in the market to purchase any heavy duty fiddlin' software right now, I have been playing with Picasa as I learn more about photography.

Take, for instance this, photo:


Not staged.  Cute girl.  Great pose.  Hmmm... what can I do with it?  How about crop it?  Sepia it?

Voila:



Wheeeeee!  This is fun!

How about another?  Are you game?

Before:




And, after:




We're on a roll now!  Woo-eee, baby!

Before:




After:


Can you tell I'm partial to the black and white?

Okay, one more.

Before:


After:


 

See how much fun photo fiddlin' can be???  (I must admit that after my repeated use of the word "fiddlin" and the editing I did above in Paint, that I am now hearing the theme song to The Beverly Hillbillies in my head!)

I also happen to feel a tongue twister coming on:  Photo Fiddlin' is Fun ...  Hmmm, that needs work.

Until next time, I'll be here fiddlin' with my photos while I save up for my new camera!

2 comments:

  1. Ok so I know you have finally decided on a camera BBBUUUTTTT... I have a Canon 20D and a couple of GREAT lensesses? for it. If you want to play around with my camera feel free. I'm saving for the Canon 70D YIKES it's expensive but it does digital video also so I'll save for it, sell a kid or two and maybe be able to buy it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what to make you and your munchkins for breakfast when you visit! B-A-C-O-N and then some! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

The sweetest sounds to mortals given
Are heard in Mother, Home, and Heaven.
~William Goldsmith Brown

Leave your sweet sounds here: